Do you want to solve wide ranging analytical and business problems in a fascinating growth market with real societal impact? Then this is the role for you! The Consulting Services team at RMS has a proven track record in helping organizations to measure, manage and transfer their catastrophe risk. Our clients range from insurers and reinsurers to investment portfolio managers, to financial institutions, governments, and corporates.
We work closely with clients to deliver a wide range of analytical, advisory and technology services and solutions, including:
- Assessment of business best practices for risk management, Implementation and optimization of workflows relating to RMS products
- Consulting around new emerging systemic risks facing society, including climate change, novel infectious disease and pandemic
- Risk transfer consulting and optimization, including ILS and catastrophe bonds
- Emerging use cases for risk analytics as these become strategic priorities for RMS and our clients
The Analyst will be offered extensive training around RMS products and services, the markets we serve, and the opportunities within. Initially, you will be expected to contribute to the full gamut of different project opportunities, and over time you may specialize in key areas that meet the combined needs of the business and your own skills and capabilities, or remain a generalist within the Consulting Services team.
Objective of the role:
Consulting Services operates at the forefront of defining best practices for the quantification and management of risk. Demand for climate and catastrophe risk analytics and data is growing at pace, including beyond the insurance market into financial services, governments, and corporate use cases. Joining this team offers an opportunity to drive the growth of a unique and fascinating market, and help build resilience to the challenges society faces today.
There is no “typical” project, as our market is evolving fast – but some recent examples include:
- Helping a major reinsurance broker determine the right approach to implement capabilities built on RMS latest cloud-based risk management analytics platform, Risk IntelligenceTM
- Designing, building and rolling out bespoke tools and applications for RMS’ clients around the world
- Working with a start-up ILS fund to build and analyse a new portfolio of quota-share business
- Consulting with a major insurance company to help improve risk management processes to take account of emerging systemic risks, from solar storms to climate change and beyond.
- Helping customers respond to the latest Bank of England climate change stress tests
- Consulting with a major U.S. bank to understand the earthquake-driven default risk prevalent in mortgage-backed securities, and transfer this via design of a parametric index for a catastrophe bond
- Working with re/insurers to quantify their exposure to cyber risk for the first time
- Helping a major European city understand its exposure to flood risk, and how to manage this
- Helping a US insurer build internal capabilities around risk modeling for the first time
- Helping a government agency understand the relativity of catastrophe risks, and where to focus resource.
As a business unit delivering consulting services to our clients, we have a wide variety of career paths open to successful candidates; past examples of career paths include:
- Become a project lead, managing complex engagements solving business and analytical challenges;
- Become a relationship management specialist, with business development and revenue accountability;
- Become a product management or software development specialist within RMS
Analysts will work with more experienced colleagues on all aspects of projects, from initial exploratory conversations and project definition, all the way through to delivery of projects to clients. You will be part of a 40+ strong team of professionals with over 400yrs combined experience in the markets that we serve.
At RMS, we look to give analysts responsibility for discrete elements of projects very early in their career, so that they can take ownership of work and develop their consulting and project management skills.
Key Accountabilities & Deliverables
You bring the potential, we’ll bring the context: we will offer intensive training on the market we operate in, and the catastrophe models we build. Initially, your responsibilities will involve:
- On-the-job training for modelling and analysing insured portfolios, resilience infrastructure, assets at risk, insurance-linked securities and other risk-transfer mechanisms;
- Perform professional risk analysis for client assets and portfolios and insurance linked securities using knowledge of simulation techniques and expertise in data manipulation and visualisation;
- Support client discussions and business development efforts alongside senior team members, working with corporations, governments, insurers and investors
- Understanding and documenting clients’ current processes and capabilities, understanding clients’ challenges, collaborating closely with clients to develop a solution that meets their requirements, creating and presenting project deliverables and RiskIntelligence development updates to clients.
- Analyse existing risk transfer products (e.g. insurance linked securities (ILS), collateralised reinsurance, ILWs, parametric triggers) for clients and prepare summary reports and analytics;
- Support engagements with insurers and other RMS clients to understand their needs and priorities, document findings and formulate high-level solutions and requirements;
- Meet timelines and deliverables such as expert risk analysis and presentations to investors etc., and serve as a point of contact to clients, communicating analysis results both internally and externally.
- Analysts will be expected to gain a strong understanding of the analytics and science behind the models and also the technology behind RMS solutions so that they are able to provide insight and have credibility with clients.
- Minimum 2.1 Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative subject (maths, sciences, engineering), from a Russell Group University (or equivalent);
- Masters qualification OR at least 1 year experience working in catastrophe modelling, insurtech or management consulting.
- Advanced interpersonal & relationship skills
- Strong mathematical ability and a minimum ‘A’ grade at A Level in Mathematics or equivalent;
- Strong teamwork and collaboration;
- Experience or training with coding languages, such as Python or R, a desire to learn more, and an interest in technology
- An interest in the natural and man-made risks facing society and the role of science and technology in understanding and managing those risks
- Fast learner, entrepreneurial and strong communicator
- Keen interest in the Insurance, capital markets, and finance sectors
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Some form of client facing previous experience
- A second ‘A’ grade at A Level in a scientific subject would be preferable
- Significant coding experience (any language) an advantage
Risk Management Solutions, Inc. (RMS) models and solutions help insurers, financial markets, corporations, and public agencies evaluate and manage global risk throughout the world. RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, with products and models covering six continents.
We lead an industry that we helped to pioneer—catastrophe risk modeling – and continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced the launch of RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open, flexible and future-proof platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation and portfolio management.
Insurers, reinsurers, trading companies, and other financial institutions trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage the risks of natural and human-made catastrophes, including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, terrorism, and pandemics.
Visit RMS.com to learn more and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
Moody’s also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities or based on a sincerely held religious belief, in accordance with applicable laws. If you need to inquire about an accommodation, or need assistance with completing the application process, please email [emailprotected].
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.